Cluny Whisky Bonded Warehouse
Listed Building Grade II
Byker, NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
- Former flax mill, recently renovated. Four and a half storey well-dressed sandstone building, with tall, flat-arched windows. On one side the warehouse fronts onto the Ouseburn. This side has 12 bays, and a lower entrance bay to the left. The ground floor windows are all recessed in cambered arches. Extensions have been added to the north and south sides.
- Street Address
- 36 Lime Street
BONDED WAREHOUSE, CHIMNEY, FLAX MILL, STILL HOUSE
- Historical Background
- 'The Cluny Warehouse was built as ‘The Northumberland Flax Mill' in 1848, to the design of John Dobson for the firm of Plummer & Cooke. Originally steam powered, the adjacent free-standing, truncated but recently restored chimney formed part of the complex. Its life as a flax mill was short, and the building became a Whisky store; it is now better known as the Cluny Warehouse. It was internally divided into work units and a music venue and bar.'
[Stafford Linsley's annotation]
- The south extension to the warehouse closed off a passage which ran between it and Leetham's Mill.
The information displayed in this page has been derived from authoritative
sources, including any referenced above. Although substantial efforts
were made to verify this information, the SINE project cannot guarantee
its correctness or completeness.