St James' Park
Newcastle upon Tyne, NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
- The stands of St James' Park are constructed from a structural steel frame with pre-cast concrete floors, stairs and terraces. Stretching around two sides of the ground, from the Sir John Hall Stand to the Milburn Stand, is a steel truss cantilevered roof.
- Street Address
- St James' Park
FOOTBALL GROUND, OFFICE, RESTAURANT
- Historical Background
- St James' Park is the oldest football stadium in the North East, with the first game having been played there in 1880.
- 1880 September 1880 Newcastle Rangers took over the lease of an area of enclosed ground next to Leazes Terrace, which immediately became known as St James' Park.
- 1886 May 1886 Newcastle West End Football Club took over the lease of St James' Park.
Newcastle West End Football Club:
- 1892 May 1892 the lease of St James' Park was transferred to Newcastle East End Football Club.
Newcastle United Football Club (Newcastle East End Football Club):
- 1893 A small stand had been erected at St James' Park by the time Newcastle United had been accepted into the Second Division of the Football League.
- 1899 Major development work carried out at St James' Park: pitch leveled; new stand erected at the Gallowgate End; terraces constructed around the rest of the pitch; ground enclosed by a corrugated iron fence. This work allowed for a capacity crowd of 30,000.
- 1904 - 1905 St James' Park underwent a complete reconstruction with the building of a huge stand along the Barrack Road side of the stadium, more substantial terraces on the other three sides of the stadium and players facilities, including a swimming pool, beneath the new stand. With this work the ground could now hold upwards of 60,000 spectators. The stadium was officially reopened in Spetember 1905.
- 1930 Cover built over the Leazes End enclosure.
Leitch, Archibald: Originally Leitch's design was for covered double decker stands extending around the circumference of the ground. This plan however was scuppered due to planning constraints.
- 1972 - 1973 New Leazes Terrace stand built.
- 1978 Leazes End terrace demolished and work started on a cantilevered stand. However, work on the new stand stopped due to relegation, recession and problems with the City planners.
- 1986 - 1988 The 80 year old West Stand was demolished and replaced by the £5 million Milburn Stand.
Milburn, John Edward Thompson: Dedicatee.
- 1992 - 1993 Leazes End Stand built and renamed the Sir John Hall Stand.
Sir John Hall: Dedicatee.
- 1992 - 1995 A series of improvements were made to St James' Park including modifications to the Milburn Stand, the addition of office and coporate facilities, a new pitch and drainage system, new floodlighting, a new stand built at the Gallowgate End and the infilling of all the corners. This work created an all seater stadium with a capacity of around 37,000.
- 1998 - 2000 Double tiers added to the Milburn and Sir John Hall Stands, at a cost of over £40 million. The completion of the stands in August 2000 allowed St James Park to seat a capacity crowd of 52,193.
- See http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Stadium/0,,10278,00.html [last accessed 26/01/04].
The information displayed in this page has been derived from authoritative
sources, including any referenced above. Although substantial efforts
were made to verify this information, the SINE project cannot guarantee
its correctness or completeness.