skip navigation bar Sine Project / Structure Details

University of Necastle Upon TyneTyne Bridge girders SINE Project: structural images of the North East
NOF logo, click here to go to the New Oppotunities Fund site
view the SINE frequently asked questions and answers view site map
SINE Project logo, click here to go to the SINE home page

Introduction

Browse Images

Search Images

interACTIVE Zone

Help

News

Links

Contact Us

 

Structure Details
view this image view this image view this image view more images of this structure
 

 

Structure Name: Newminster Abbey

Description:
 
The ruins of a Cistercian monastery founded as a daughter house of Fountains Abbey. Of the abbey church, chapter house and cloister the only surviving elements are sections of walls, the arcaded cloister and arched entranceways. Large sections of the cloister wall have been re-erected, displaying both pointed and round arches and waterleaf capitals capping slender columns. Also restored is the round-arched doorway to the chapter house, in a similar style.

To the north of the cloister is the church, with fragmentary remains including parts of a large north window.
 

Extant: Yes

Legal Status: Listed Building Grade II, Scheduled Ancient Monument

Location: Newminster Abbey, NORTHUMBERLAND

Eastings: 418920m (view map)

Northings: 585840m (view map)

Position Accuracy: 100m

Positional Confidence: Absolute Certainty

Structure Types Identified: ABBEY, CHAPTER HOUSE, CISTERCIAN MONASTERY, CLOISTER

Historical Background
 
Newminster was the first daughter house of Fountains abbey, and became mother to Roche, Pipewell and Sawley Abbeys before its' dissolution in the mid 16th century.
 

Chronology:

  • 1137   Foundation of abbey by Ranulph de Merlay.
        Entities Involved:
              de Merlay, Ranulph: Lord of Morpeth.
  • 1138   Attack by Scots. Abbey burnt.
  • 1180   Abbey rebuilt.
  • 1537   Monastery dissolved.
        Entities Involved:
              King Henry VIII: Ordered the dissolution of all monasteries in England.
  • 1963   Excavations revealed the layout of the abbey church.
  • 1965   Excavations reveal the extent of the infirmary hall.

References:

  • Images of England
  • Keys To The Past
  • Northumberland SMR
  • Pevsner, N., Richmond, I., Grundy, J., McCombie, G., Ryder, P. and Welfare, H. (2001) The Buildings of England: Northumberland. London, Penguin Books, p.518

The information displayed in this page has been derived from authoritative sources, including any referenced above. Although substantial efforts were made to verify this information, the SINE project cannot guarantee its correctness or completeness.

 


view images of this structure
view location on a map

 

we appreciate your feedback suggestions / comments welcome
click here to go to the top of the page  go to the top

 


Last Modified 26 March 2004
2002 SINE Project, University of Newcastle upon Tyne
Email webmaster