skip navigation bar Sine Project / Structure Details

University of Necastle Upon TyneTyne Bridge girders SINE Project: structural images of the North East
NOF logo, click here to go to the New Oppotunities Fund site
view the SINE frequently asked questions and answers view site map
SINE Project logo, click here to go to the SINE home page

Introduction

Browse Images

Search Images

interACTIVE Zone

Help

News

Links

Contact Us

 

Structure Details
view this image view this image view this image
 

 

Structure Name: Littleharle Tower

Description:
 
Medieval tower modernised and incorporated into the west end of a Victorian hall. The south front, looking over the gardens, has an early 18th century five bay, two storey centre with a later central doorway, with the three storey medieval tower projecting forward to the left and a Victorian-style tower with a two storey bay window, hiding a Georgian core, on the right.

The earlier tower retains slit windows on the ground floor, and sashes on the upper floors beneath a crenellated parapet. The walls are over 1.5m thick and the basement is stone-vaulted. The staircase is actually in the 18th century house, and proves that a medieval house adjoined the tower.

The main entrance is to the north side of the house, which was entirely remodelled in the 1860s.
 

Extant: Yes

Legal Status: Listed Building Grade II*

Location: Littleharle Tower, NORTHUMBERLAND

Eastings: 401400m (view map)

Northings: 583500m (view map)

Position Accuracy: 20m

Positional Confidence: Absolute Certainty

Structure Types Identified: HOUSE, TOWER

Historical Background
 
The house and tower at Littleharle originally were the property of the de Harle family, and later the Fenwicks and Aynsleys. The medieval layout would have been a hall house with the tower acting as a cross-wing, and possibly another tower, or a service wing, to the east. The hall has been rebuilt a number of times, so proof of this is elusive.
 

Chronology:

  • 1415 - 1541   Construction of tower and hall.
  • MID 18TH CENTURY   Extensions to the east end of the house.
  • 1861 - 1862   Extensive remodelling to the designs of Thomas Anderson. East tower extended. North front rebuilt.
        Entities Involved:
              Anderson, Thomas: Architect.
  • 1980   House reduced in size. Much of the 1862 work was demolished.

References:

  • Images of England
  • Keys To The Past
  • Northumberland SMR
  • Pevsner, N., Richmond, I., Grundy, J., McCombie, G., Ryder, P. and Welfare, H. (2001) The Buildings of England: Northumberland. London, Penguin Books, p.378

The information displayed in this page has been derived from authoritative sources, including any referenced above. Although substantial efforts were made to verify this information, the SINE project cannot guarantee its correctness or completeness.

 


view images of this structure
view location on a map

 

we appreciate your feedback suggestions / comments welcome
click here to go to the top of the page  go to the top

 


Last Modified 26 March 2004
2002 SINE Project, University of Newcastle upon Tyne
Email webmaster